[turba] Problems with importing CSV and TSV

Alan W. Rateliff, II lists at rateliff.net
Thu Mar 24 18:16:48 PST 2005

I have spent a couple of hours working with exporting an Outlook contacts
list to a CSV, then later TSV, to import into Turba.  I ran into a number of
problems which I detail below and would like to see if these are genuine
problems with Turba or if there might be a configuration problem on my end.

CSV issues:

Quoted commas add to the field count.  Example,
 "Last, First","email at example.com","(850) 555-1212"
is counted as four fields rather than three.

Some records are imported ignoring the quotation.  In one particular
instance I had a field like "Last, First" get imported two fields of ["Last]
and [First "]  I checked the file to ensure that it wasn't using any
special coding, and was unable to detect anything.

Quoted CRLF seem to be interpreted as the end-of-record.  Example,
 "Rateliff II, Alan","alan2 at rateliff.net","PO Box 37052<CR><LF>Tallahassee
FL 32315","(850) 350-0260"
I get a screwed up import with an accompanying record of missing fields.

TSV issues:

This is more of an Outlook problem.  When exporting the contact's full name,
Outlook quotes it.  These quotes are accepted as literals by Turba and made
part of the field.  Example,
 "Rateliff II, Alan" \t alan2 at rateliff.net \t .......
The name field includes the quotes, and the first-name/last-name separation
of Turba breaks.

Horde 3.0.3
Turba 2.0.2
Apache 1.3.33 PHP 4.3.9

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    alan2 at rateliff.net
      (Office) 850/350-0260        :  (Mobile) 850/559-0100