[turba] Re: Problems with importing CSV and TSV

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 25 03:32:21 PST 2005

Zitat von "Alan W. Rateliff, II" <lists at rateliff.net>:

> I have spent a couple of hours working with exporting an Outlook contacts
> list to a CSV, then later TSV, to import into Turba.  I ran into a number of
> problems which I detail below and would like to see if these are genuine
> problems with Turba or if there might be a configuration problem on my end.

Try using Horde and Turba from CVS HEAD, where CSV imports have been
improved a lot.

> TSV issues:
>
> This is more of an Outlook problem.  When exporting the contact's full name,
> Outlook quotes it.  These quotes are accepted as literals by Turba and made
> part of the field.  Example,
> "Rateliff II, Alan" \t alan2 at rateliff.net \t .......
> The name field includes the quotes, and the first-name/last-name separation
> of Turba breaks.

Yeah, this is rather an Outlook problem. It doesn't make much sense to
quote fields in TSV data. The problem is that neither CSV nor TSV are
defined anywhere as a standard, so there is a lot of room for
interpretation. Not very helpful for data exchange compatibility.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/