[turba] Fwd: Turba multiple users

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu May 12 20:32:50 PDT 2005

> No one is working on it that I know of, but we've been talking about it
> ever since we first added the Share class. It's just a bit more
> complicated for Turba because of the existing possibility for multiple
> backends.

Figured that was probably the case...

> So, what's the difference (effectively, I get the technical nuance
> you're getting at) for these between an existing share created by an
> administrative user (admin, secretary, whatever) with the appropriate
> perms?

Permanence.  When a secretary resigns/retires/whatever, how do you efficiently
transfer the organization-wide shares that they own?  A "Global" share
wouldn't
be tied to any one account, but can be controlled by, at minimum, a user
designated as Administrator, and ultimately, their designee(s).  Although now
that I think about it, I suppose you could assign a new owner through the
Object Creator permission, with the current permissions system.  But thats
cumbersome, if you have a large number of shares.  Oh, you're retiring?
  I have
to reassign 100 resources and calendars and the organization-wide addressbook
to your yet unhired replacement :)

Kevin