[turba] How do Turba LDAP filters work?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Jul 23 19:30:03 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

>> Are you saying Turba is doing 1400 searches?
>
> Yep.  Well, actually 1390, but close ;)

[snip]

> So it looks like turba builds a list of search results, then searches
> the search results individually.

Not quite. I finally tracked this down after a miserable little LDAP
saga. Look at turba/lib/List.php, in unserialize(). Calls getObject()
for every object in the list.

You see this right away because search.php redirects to browse.php to
show its results. We can fix that, but then it's still going to look up
each when you reload the cached results.

I think the fix might be to go ahead and stop caching search results.
No more ability to do an additive search, which would be a shame, but
it'd fix it. The other option I can think of is to cache search results
by storing the searches that were done, not the results. Would need to
be a little more clever about it, but that might be a good reason to
clean up a bunch of Turba code anyway.

Let me know what solution people would prefer, and Kevin, if you could
toss this into a bug ticket so it doesn't get lost, I'd appreciate it.

-chuck

Quincy Adams