[turba] (ldap) Saving the cn as a combination of givenname and sn

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Sat Sep 3 15:41:11 PDT 2005

Greeting,

I am using with Turba witha an LDAP backend.  I have configured the
'name' attribute to be a compound field (firstname space lastname).
When saving a new contact, I would like Turba to use the Turba 'name'
attribute as the LDAP cn attribute.  Given that the 'name' Turba
attribute is not mapped to cn in the source declaration (in
sources.php), is this possible anyhow ?

My problem stem from the fact that both the cn and sn attributes are
required by the person objectClass.  Why the designer of RFC2256 decide
to make then both mandatory (thus forcing people to store redundant
information), I can't say.  The quick fix would be to edit my schema
file to fix this, but that is something I would prefer not to do.

Basically, the reason I want to do that is that I like the way compound
field behave.  It's much more intuitive for the user to enter the first
name and last name in separate field, and have the full name generated
from the two.  Otherwise, my users rightfully complain that they have to
enter redundant information.

I am 99.5% sure that this have been discussed before.  So, basically,
what are my option ?

Thanks !

Etienne Goyer