[turba] Problems with Turba, possibly error in php code

Daniel Gerzo danger at rulez.sk
Mon Nov 7 22:02:54 PST 2005

Hello Alex,

Tuesday, November 8, 2005, 5:45:26 AM, you wrote:

> Funny you should ask.  I was researching this issue today.

> From what I found, this PHP notice refers to the way Horde's code is
> written.  That is, returning a non variable reference by reference.  I
> assume this is something PHP intends on wanting developers to stop
> doing, so they have this Notice for those who try this?  I'm not too
> sure.  The details on this can be found on many PHP forums, including:

> http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=26311&#msg_26311

> From what I've read, this issue affects those who are using Zend
> Optimizer with PHP 4.4.x.

I don't use Zend Optimizer. PHP 4.4.1 with APC with these options:

apc.enabled=1
apc.optimization=0
apc.shm_size=16
apc.num_files_hint=1000
apc.mmap_file_mask=/tmp/apc.tmpXXXXXX
apc.gc_ttl=3
apc.ttl=600

> See this page for reference:

> http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/Gallery2:FAQ#I_get_.22Notice:_Only_variable_references_should_be_returned_by_reference_in_.22.2C_what.27s_wrong.3F

> However, my webserver was not running Zend Optimizer.  And instead of
> going through to try to change the way functions in Horde return
> variables, I decided to just suppress Notices in the error_reporting
> value.  This is in your php.ini.  However, this didn't do the trick
> for me, so I just disabled error_reporting all together, which is
> needless to say, not good.

Oh well, I don't want to disable error_reporting here :/ It should be
fixed by Turba developers.

> Any further feedback on this issue would be appreciated.

Yeah, and I would like to get more feedback about why I'm unable
to add new contacts to the Private Address Book as well.

--
Best Regards,
   Daniel Gerzo