[turba] Problems with Turba, possibly error in php code

Alex Ng ngstylez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:45:26 PST 2005

Funny you should ask.  I was researching this issue today.

>From what I found, this PHP notice refers to the way Horde's code is
written.  That is, returning a non variable reference by reference.  I
assume this is something PHP intends on wanting developers to stop
doing, so they have this Notice for those who try this?  I'm not too
sure.  The details on this can be found on many PHP forums, including:

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=26311&#msg_26311

>From what I've read, this issue affects those who are using Zend
Optimizer with PHP 4.4.x.

What some people suggested as a work around was to go into your
php.ini and lower the Zend Optimization level to 14, from 15...

In php.ini replace:
zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15
with:
zend_optimizer.optimization_level=14

See this page for reference:

http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/Gallery2:FAQ#I_get_.22Notice:_Only_variable_references_should_be_returned_by_reference_in_.22.2C_what.27s_wrong.3F

However, my webserver was not running Zend Optimizer.  And instead of
going through to try to change the way functions in Horde return
variables, I decided to just suppress Notices in the error_reporting
value.  This is in your php.ini.  However, this didn't do the trick
for me, so I just disabled error_reporting all together, which is
needless to say, not good.

Any further feedback on this issue would be appreciated.

-Alex