[turba] Clarification requested on "Configuring turba" in INSTALL

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 5 14:33:03 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 17:18 -0500, Eric wrote:
> Good evening, all.
>
> By way of background... I have about 30 years' software development
> experience but no useful background in database systems, and could barely
> spell MySQL four days ago.  I am attempting to install horde and turba to
> use as a contacts manager for my consulting partnership.
>
> So far, mostly thanks to the expert help of Jason Clifton and Ben Chavet
> over on the horde mailing list, I think I have horde installed more or less
> correctly and am now working on turba.
>
> In the INSTALL doc for the turba 2.1.2 distribution, and on
> http://horde.org/turba/docs/?f=INSTALL.html, item #2 under "Configuring
> Turba" says:
>
> "2.  Creating databases ... look in scripts/drivers/ to see if a script
> already exists for your database type (SQL or LDAP). If so, you should be
> able to simply execute that script as superuser in your database."
>
> I was not able to find a scripts/drivers directory, but there is a
> scripts/sql directory that contains the file "turba_objects.mysql.sql".  I
> executed that script with:
>
> mysql -u root -ppassword < turba_objects.mysql.sql
>
> ... and it complained about no database specified.  So, I said...
>
> mysql -u root -ppassword --database=horde < turba_objects.mysql.sql
>
> ...and it ran to completion without any complaint.
>
> After completion, I saw that it created a new turba_objects table in the
> horde database.  It didn't create a new database of its own as the INSTALL
> script seemed to indicate it should ("The specific steps to create Turba
> databases...").
>
> Did I do it right, or did I miss a step in creating a turba database?
----
you're good

as far as I know, all of the horde applications put their tables in the
one horde database which allows you to configure the SQL connection
details in the horde application configuration and all of the
applications can then assume their connections from the one setup rather
than setting each one individually.

Craig