[turba] Clarification requested on "Configuring turba" in INSTALL

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sun Nov 5 14:18:40 PST 2006

Good evening, all.

By way of background... I have about 30 years' software development
experience but no useful background in database systems, and could barely
spell MySQL four days ago.  I am attempting to install horde and turba to
use as a contacts manager for my consulting partnership.

So far, mostly thanks to the expert help of Jason Clifton and Ben Chavet
over on the horde mailing list, I think I have horde installed more or less
correctly and am now working on turba.

In the INSTALL doc for the turba 2.1.2 distribution, and on
http://horde.org/turba/docs/?f=INSTALL.html, item #2 under "Configuring
Turba" says:

"2.  Creating databases ... look in scripts/drivers/ to see if a script
already exists for your database type (SQL or LDAP). If so, you should be
able to simply execute that script as superuser in your database."

I was not able to find a scripts/drivers directory, but there is a
scripts/sql directory that contains the file "turba_objects.mysql.sql".  I
executed that script with:

mysql -u root -ppassword < turba_objects.mysql.sql

... and it complained about no database specified.  So, I said...

mysql -u root -ppassword --database=horde < turba_objects.mysql.sql

...and it ran to completion without any complaint.

After completion, I saw that it created a new turba_objects table in the
horde database.  It didn't create a new database of its own as the INSTALL
script seemed to indicate it should ("The specific steps to create Turba
databases...").

Did I do it right, or did I miss a step in creating a turba database?

Thanks...

Eric