[turba] A few remaining issues with Turba

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Thu Nov 9 08:49:46 PST 2006

Thanks to you folks, I have almost gotten Turba running the way we need it
to run.  There are just a few remaining problems I need to resolve.

I am using Horde 3.1.3 and Turba 2.1.2, the latest downloaded stable
releases as of about a week ago.

MySQL is version 11.18 distribution 3.23.58, and the host is Fedora Core 2
(old stuff, I know, but there is nothing I can do about it any time soon).

I have gone through the wiki and the mailing list archives and have not
been able to find the answers.

PASSWORDS:  How to users change their own passwords?  I see how the
administrator can do it for any user, but I don't see a way that users can
do it for themselves.

GLOBAL ADDRESS BOOK:  I want the default address book (the one that is
created when turba is first installed) to be available to everybody for
reads, writes, edits, adds, and deletes.  I have use_shares set to true in
sources.php (That was the default setting out of the box), and have checked
all of the permissions boxes for each of the users under
Administration->Permissions for the admin user, but users still can't see
the admin's "My Address Book".

CREATING NEW ADDRESS BOOKS:  I can't find the way to do that.  Under
Organizing->Address Book->My Address Book, it shows excerpts from the
user's own My Address Book, but nothing is visible that would allow
creating a new address book.

DATES:  Any dates prior to January 1, 1970, don't seem to get saved.  I
have a "birthday" field that is set up in attributes.php to go all the way
back to 1900, i.e.:

$attributes['birthday'] = array(
     'label' => _("Birthday"),
     'type' => 'monthdayyear',
     'params' => array(1900, null, true, '%Y-%m-%d'),
     'required' => false,
);

... but if I put anything in there with a date prior to the Epoch, it
doesn't get saved.

Following is the applicable field description in turba_objects:

in July / August but I was not able to find an answer in the archives.

Presumably it has something to do with the use of some time function
somewhere that returns seconds since the Epoch, so that it doesn't know
what to do with (or returns NULL for) times prior to the Epoch.

If that is something I have to live with, is there a supported ("right" vs
"wrong") way to eliminate the year display altogether and just allow
entering of the month and the day?

IMPORTING:  I realize this is a MySQL question and not a Turba question,
but I assume many of you have been there and done that... Currently our
address book is in an Excel spreadsheet.  I plan to export it to a CSV file
and would like to import that file into Turba's turba_objects.  Can any of
you suggest some reading for me to learn the right way (as contrasted with
any number of "wrong" ways) to do that?

Thanks again for all your help...

Eric