[turba] Sharing address books (was Re: Adding and changing fields in the turba "Contacts" records)

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Thu Nov 9 13:20:24 PST 2006

Quoting Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com>:

> At 11:09 AM 11/6/2006, Michael Rubinsky wrote:
>
>> For this one, you have two options.  You can leave use_shares set to
>> false, and use the permissions interface (Administration->Permissions)
>> to give your groups/users the desired perms.
>>
>> Setting use_shares to true, activates Turba's support for the
>> Horde_Share system.  What this does is allows individual users to
>> create their own address books in addition to their 'default' book and
>> also allows your users to assign permissions on their own. (Without
>> share support, only an admin can set/update permissions and there is
>> no way to create additional address books without adding new database
>> tables).
>>
>> To do what you are asking about, you can set shares to true, then,
>> create a new address book (under the 'My Address Books' page) named
>> 'Clients' or whatever. Then using the 'Edit Permissions' button on the
>> My Address Book page, you can assign whatever perms you want...
>
> Good morning, Mike.
>
> Hmmm ... None of that seems to be working.  I have tried
> "use_shares" set to true, false, and commented out, and also logged
> in as admin and set all permissions to my address book for
> everybody.  Still, none of the other users can see it.
>
> I also can't find a way to add new address books from the GUI.  Is
> that something that requires editing the php files?

This should be in Turba's menu bar under a "My Address Books" icon.
The icon will only be there if you have shares enabled in a supported
source, like sql.  If the create address book option is not there,
make sure you have entered an appropriate value in turba's
configuration for the source to use when creating new shares value.
If you use the 'out of the box' localsql example source, then this
value should be set to localsql.

> Also haven't yet found a way for a user to change his password.  The
> superuser can change everybody's password, but I haven't found a way
> for users to change their own.

The horde passwd app.

Thanks,
mike