[turba] Another addressbook listing problem

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Sat Nov 11 12:17:17 PST 2006

Quoting Tô <chaloupe at free.fr>:

> Michael Rubinsky a écrit :
>> Quoting Tô <chaloupe at free.fr>:
>>
>>> Sorry, I forgot something :
>>> I have setup the perms for this addressbook
>>> (Administration->Permissions->Turba->Sources->localsql)
>>
>> According to your last post, you have enabled share support
>> (use_shares => true).  If this is indeed what you want, then
>> user/group permissions are handled through the My Address Books
>> page -> edit permissions, not the Administration->Permissions
>> interface.
>>
> Well, setting "use_shares" to "false" did it !
> I don't estimate the impact on the use of Turba (wether to use
> shared addressbooks or not...not a production box for the
> moment...don't even know the needs) but, for sure, it seems to me
> that this behaviour is a kind of bug...
> I did not try it but, if I undestand you, Mike, I have to add myself
> in the trustees of "My" addressbook ?
> I can definitively not understand the interest of this parameter
> (use_share) ?

In short - the original turba application allowed for either a single
address book per user, or a single, shared address book for all users.
  If additional address books were needed, an admin would have to
create a new db table, make the necessary changes in sources.php
etc...  Also, if a user's address book needed to be shared, it
required an admin to change the permissions via the
administration->permissions interface.

Support for Horde_Share (a package part of the Horde framework -
Kronolith, for example, uses this to allow you to create and share
your calendars with other users) was added to turba to get around this
limitation.  With Horde_Share support, users can create and delete
address books on their own without the need for additional tables to
be added.  Additionally, users can assign permissions for their own
address books any way they please, again, without needing an admin to
do it for them.

Because of the way the owner data need to be stored to support shares,
you must use only one way or the other for each configured source in
sources.php....hence the need for the 'use_shares' attribute.

A bit long winded, but I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)