[turba] Address Book setup

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Thu Dec 7 10:11:10 PST 2006

Quoting Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de>:

> Hello,
>
> in my Turba H3 (2.1.3) installation, I have come to the point
> where turba/docs/INSTALL says:
>> Use the Horde ``Administration`` menu item to get
>> to the administration page, and then click on the ``Configuration`` icon to
>> get the configuration page.  Select ``Address Book`` from the selection
>> list of applications.  Fill in or change any configuration values as
>> needed.
>
> However, I do not understand most of the questions asked in that form,
> so I cannot assess what is needed. There are neither help files nor
> translations for this form, so I have to ask you for enlightenment.
>
>> Clients
>> * Name of client addressbook
>
> I think I know what an addressbook is and I have defined
> two of them, in turba/config/sources.php, viz.
> - 'localsql' : Personal address book in SQL database
> - 'localldap': our local E-Mail Directory (search-only)
>
> But what does "*client* addressbook" mean?
> (I do not understand that "client" part.)
> Which of my addressbooks (if any) should I enter here?
> And why am I asked for just one addressbook, here,
> whilst Turba can handle multiple addressbooks?

The client address book is the one that would be used by other
applications that access turba's client api.  In other words, if you
had hermes ( a time tracking / invoice horde application) installed,
it would use the client address book specified here.  This way, you
can keep your 'clients' seperate in one address book, so when using
hermes, you don't see all your personal contacts (like, say,  your
wife) listed as people you will be billing...
Bottom line: If you don't use hermes than you can leave this blank.

>> Shares
>> Name of source for creating new shares
>
> What are "shares"? Would I wish to allow them, at all?
> And if so, what is expected as the "name of their source"?

If you look at the sources.php entry for the example 'localsql' source
you will see an entry 'use_shares'.  I can't remember off the top of
my head if it's enabled in that example or not.  Anyway, shares allow
your users to create/delete their own address books and set
permissions on those books themselves. SQL and IMSP sources are the
only backends that support this currently.  If you enable share
support ('use_shares' => true). Then you will see a "My Address Books"
menu option on the horde menu.  That page has sections for creating,
deleting, editing and modifying permissions on shared address books.

Without share supoort, only an admin can modify permissions on an
address book - AND - in order to add a new address book, an admin
would have to create new entries in sources.php as well as new backend
resources to support the new address book.  If you look around the
wiki (wiki.horde.org) I believe there are a few blurbs here and there
about this.

>> Comments
>> * Can users comment on contacts?
>
> Does that mean that those comments will go into the respective
> users' personal addressbooks, so that nobody else will see them?

AFAIK, anyone that has READ permission on the address book will be
able to see them.

> In this case, I tend to allow them. Or will this pose any
> performance risk on my Horde + MySQL installation?

Well, I believe there will be *some* performance hit, as turba will
have access the comments api to grab the data. As far as how much, I'm
not really sure.  Perhaps someone else on list can give there
experiences.  I've not noticed any problems with it myself.

>> Virtual File Storage
>> * What VFS driver should we use?
>
> In the Horde setup, I have defined a VFS for Imp to store
> any uploaded attachments in, until they will be sent with the
> respective messages.
>
> But to which end Turba will need any file store?
> And is it alright to choose "Horde defaults", in this field?

Turba uses the VFS to store any files that the user chooses to attach
to a contact. If this is not disabled, the on the contact edit screen,
you can choose to upload files that will be attached/associated with
that contact.

Horde defaults are fine, as long as you have a VFS driver defined for horde.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)