[turba] Turba hangs w/>500 records, gives "Allowed memory size exhausted" error

Muskingum Web Manager webmgr at muskingum.edu
Sat Dec 16 16:02:50 PST 2006

Eric <spamsink at scoot.netis.com> wrote:

> Does it make sense that the 8 MB limit should only support fewer
> than 500 contacts database entries?  I assume that turba can handle
> databases with thousands of entries, and if the memory requirement
> has any sort of a linear relationship with the number of entries,
> that means that 100 MB of RAM will only support a bit over 6000
> database entries.
>
> Seems like a lot of memory for not many contacts database entries.
> On the other hand, I don't know much about DBMS.  Maybe that kind of
> memory usage is normal...

Actually, that value is for a particular transaction not for data
storage limits. Keep in mind that reading 500 contacts isn't just
names, it's looking through all the data associated with them, and
filtering out based on the parameters set for which columns to
display. That said, I set my limit at 64MB and generally don't have a
problem. You would have a similar situation if you were on, let's say,
monthly calendar view with several remote calendars with many
appointments (complete with details).