[turba] Issues with LDAP and Personal Address Book.

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Jan 19 08:27:14 PST 2007

> I see by default that I have the following field to enter I have:
> Name:
> Email:
> Last Name:
> Which is rather confusing. As I suspect you would use the first name
> in the Name area. But in that case it will greatly limit who you can
> add as there's a lot of Mark and John out there !
> What are you using in your settings?

This is an LDAPism.  cn is usually 'full name', then there is 'sn' which
is surname (last name), and 'givenName' which is [usually] first name.
The RDN you choose must be something unique as only one object with a
given RDN may exist in a container (think of the RDN as the key to the
container).

This is probably why Turba adds a generated uid by default.

Although it should be rendering as
"cn={cnvalue}+uid={longString},{container}" and not as
"cn={cnvalue},uid={longString},{container}".  "+" concatenates
attributes together to create a composite RDN (multi-valued RDN).  What
Turba is doing here [by default] seems pretty clearly to be wrong.

On the other hand, IMNSHO, it is *NOT* a reasonable expectation that
defaults will work in any/your/mine given site/circumstance;  that is
why there are configuration files. :)