[turba] How to duplicate field in Turba/LDAP.

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Sun Jan 21 06:14:36 PST 2007

> By default, Turba stores the work address in the LDAP attribute:
> postaladdress
> which works well with Outlook as that's the attribute used to retrieve
> the address.
> However, Apple address book and Thunderbird are using the field street
> (in combination with st , l and postalcode)

A proper mail client would permit both;  LDAP support in all the above
mentioned clients is rather dodgy; and mozilla has the absolute WORST
LDAP support this world has ever seen.  The guy who developed that
addressbook apparently didn't bother to learn the very first thing
about LDAP.

> Is there a way to tell Turba to map the address field (here
> workAddress) for filling the entry with street, but when saving copy
> it to both the street and postaladdress attribute, so it will work
> nicely with either Outlook, Thunderbird and Apple Address Book.

No.  And how would that work; to parse a textual address into
components?  It actually can't be done.  An address may have multiple
lines, especially foreign (non-western) addresses.  And even in the
USA not all addresses can be broken into street, city, state, and zip.
   I grew up in a place without house numbers  (actually they did
assign us a house number the year I graduated from high school),  but
I still know people who don't have one.  The only reasonable way to
store an address is to use a textual field like postalAddress.

If you wanted to try I suspect you would have to abstract from the
Turba LDAP driver and develop a custom class that scanned for certain
attributes and tried to munch on them.