[turba] Organisational Unit showing in browse list

Martin Fraser mdf at darksnow.net
Mon Mar 19 23:45:48 UTC 2007

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> That was my first thought but I couldn't see anything wrong.
>> This is what is configured for both sources that are showing this:
>>           'objectclass' => array('top',
>>                                  'person',
>>                                  'organizationalPerson',
>>                                  'inetOrgPerson'),
>
> This doesn't affect what you see,  these are the objectclasses for
> adding new objects.
>
>> The object class of the ou that is being shown is, in both cases
>> organizationalUnit and top. Now, I can see that top is in both, but I
>
> You need to read some basic LDAP documentation.  "top" exists in EVERY
> object.

Yes, I know that. top is the superclass for every class, my statement
stands. Not the most helpful reply Adam. What I was saying here is that
top is the ONLY class that exists in both, which of course it should.

>> thought it would only match if all were present as the class.
>
> No,  to control what you match adjust filter;  from the previous
> message: "You configured it wrong. Fix your LDAP filter."
>
> All of this is very well documented in the top of the sources.php.dist
> file.

Sources says objectclass defines a list of classes that the object must
be a member of. This implies it must match ALL (as I said) so in this
case, that was filtering enough for my setup, so no need for further
filters by implication of what object class does. The ou that is showing
  does not have all those classes in the object class field.

>> Also, I
>> thought it would only show matches within the ou and lower in the tree
>
> Why?  Did you set scope and root?

It should only show matches because there is nothing with all those
classes lower in the tree. I'm running both HEAD and FRAMEWORK_3 so
didn't use a scope at all.

>> Should I remove top?
>
> No.

Yeah, I didn't do that because of the class hierarchy. As an aside, can
it be removed since it is implied by any other class?