[turba] Title

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Oct 25 09:48:14 UTC 2007

Zitat von Martin Waschbuesch <martin at waschbuesch.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>> Confused? Me too.
>>
>> So, what do we do? Which fields do we want to support and with
>> which meaning?
>>
>> Jan.
>
> From my experience, it would be best to chose one standard and try
> to  implement that as fully as possible within turba. The only need
> for  worrying about field mapping issues then, theoretically, lies
> within  the other application that the file should be imported to or
> exported  from, instead of worrying about field mappings during
> export AND import.
>
> So the question should probably be: Which standard should be followed?
>
> Personally, I'd go for something widely used and open. To my mind,
> if  turba uses vcard as its means of importing and exporting
> contacts, it  should comply to that standard internally as well. It
> would mean that  there is no need to translate or map from any
> internal turba fields to  vcard as vcard is already what turba uses.
>
> And it would be easy to answer any questions like 'what sort of
> fields  are available in turba? What standard does it follow?'. The
> answer  would be simply (e.g.): vCard Version 3, please read RFCs
> 2425 and  2426 for further information.

After sleeping a night over this mess, I think I agree. The point of
updating the default scheme was to make synching easier, and sane sync
clients use vCard too.

I'm gonna take a look at which fields are missing from the RFCs to see
if we really want to implement each and every possible field.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/