[turba] Title

Martin Waschbuesch martin at waschbuesch.de
Thu Oct 25 09:22:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
> Confused? Me too.
>
> So, what do we do? Which fields do we want to support and with which meaning?
>
> Jan.

 From my experience, it would be best to chose one standard and try to
implement that as fully as possible within turba. The only need for
worrying about field mapping issues then, theoretically, lies within
the other application that the file should be imported to or exported
from, instead of worrying about field mappings during export AND import.

So the question should probably be: Which standard should be followed?

Personally, I'd go for something widely used and open. To my mind, if
turba uses vcard as its means of importing and exporting contacts, it
should comply to that standard internally as well. It would mean that
there is no need to translate or map from any internal turba fields to
vcard as vcard is already what turba uses.

And it would be easy to answer any questions like 'what sort of fields
are available in turba? What standard does it follow?'. The answer
would be simply (e.g.): vCard Version 3, please read RFCs 2425 and
2426 for further information.

Martin