[turba] Disappearing contacts from all the personal address books

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Thu Nov 29 21:03:54 UTC 2007

Quoting Andras Galos <galosa at netinform.hu>:

> Michael Rubinsky wrote:
>> Hmm. Well, *something* had to have changed...
>
> Yes. I am sure something had changed but verified everything including
> OS package upgrades, Apache reloads, PEAR or PECL upgrades, and
> everything I could imagine. There were no change that could cause this.
> There were some package updates, but days before the issue, and with
> samba, not with PHP, Apache or MySQL. No Apache or MySQL restart or
> reload, nothing.
> The first calls arrived yesturday like lightning from a clean sky.
>

>> and is very strange as some
>> of the things you are describing could be explained from upgrading
>> Turba, but failing to run some of the upgrade scripts.  Anyway, since
>> you said you did *not* upgrade Turba, I would suggest trying to turn off
>> share use and see if that gets your addresses back to start.
>
> If I turn off use_shares in Turba's sources.php, some very old entries
> get back. But the previous entries are missing I made a few weeks ago to
> test a sorting issue. They are missing whether use_shares is true or false.

This is strange, as explained below, the owner_id of the entry would
be the same  regardless of if you have use_shares true of false.  The
entries with owner_id values that equal a horde username should
*always* show up in 'My Address Book' - unless this is Turba 2.2.

>> (Did you
>> just recently enable shares, or refresh your sources.php file?)
>
> My previous sources.php was from January 2007 with 'use_shares' => true
> in it. After this issue I examined the new prefs.php.dist file against
> my prefs.php, and seeing no important changes I copied prefs.php.dist to
> prefs.php and removed everything expect the localsql section from it. No
> change.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  prefs.php does not have a 'localsql'
section in it.  Do you mean sources.php?

> The difference between prefs.php.dist (which is my current prefs.php
> with only the localsql section in it) and the old prefs.php
> (prefs.php.old1), there is no real difference:

Again, prefs.php does not have a 'localsql' section in it - so there
should be nothing in prefs.php that was removed.

Perhaps some explanation as to the values in the db could help you
sort this out.  In Turba 2.1.* the owner_id field in the turba_objects
table represents the "owner" of the address book.  For installations
with use_shares => false, this is always the horde username (well, as
long as your using them as private per-user address books).  If you
enable use_shares, then the owner_id for an address book is still the
horde username for the user's "default" address book ('My Address
Book' if using localsql out of the box).  If you are allowing users to
create their own address books in the 'My Address Books' page, then
the "owner" for those address books is a horde_share name.  this is
the MD5 looking thingie you see in your table.  You can see these
shares via the "datatree" page under Administration.  I can't remember
the specifics off hand (The share code in turba has been *completely*
rewritten in 2.2) but somewhere in the datatree entry you'll see the
"real" owner of the share.

Some other things to check would be the preference settings for
affected users, maybe clearing the "addressbooks" pref on one of the
users to see what happens?  But since you say that the My Address Book
*is* visible, just empty, I doubt that will make a difference.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)