[turba] Disappearing contacts from all the personal address books

Andras Galos galosa at netinform.hu
Thu Nov 29 22:38:23 UTC 2007

Michael Rubinsky wrote:
> This is strange, as explained below, the owner_id of the entry would be
> the same  regardless of if you have use_shares true of false.  The
> entries with owner_id values that equal a horde username should *always*
> show up in 'My Address Book' - unless this is Turba 2.2.

Yes, really strange. There are 22 entries in the turba_objects table
where owner_id equals to my horde login name, but none of them appears
in the "My Address Book". They did appear a few weeks ago when I last
dealt with them.

>>> (Did you
>>> just recently enable shares, or refresh your sources.php file?)
>>
>> My previous sources.php was from January 2007 with 'use_shares' => true
>> in it. After this issue I examined the new prefs.php.dist file against
>> my prefs.php, and seeing no important changes I copied prefs.php.dist to
>> prefs.php and removed everything expect the localsql section from it. No
>> change.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  prefs.php does not have a 'localsql'
> section in it.  Do you mean sources.php?

Yes, sure, sorry. It's too late here. I used the default prefs.php from
Dec 2006.
Sorces.php is also the default from Jan 2007 except that I left only the
localsql section in it.

> Perhaps some explanation as to the values in the db could help you sort
> this out.  In Turba 2.1.* the owner_id field in the turba_objects table
> represents the "owner" of the address book.  For installations with
> use_shares => false, this is always the horde username (well, as long as
> your using them as private per-user address books).  If you enable
> use_shares, then the owner_id for an address book is still the horde
> username for the user's "default" address book ('My Address Book' if
> using localsql out of the box).  If you are allowing users to create
> their own address books in the 'My Address Books' page, then the "owner"
> for those address books is a horde_share name.  this is the MD5 looking
> thingie you see in your table.

Yes, exactly. I see the 22 rows with my horde login name as owner_id in
the table. When I created an additional address book to test how the
contacts appear in that, the MD5 loooking things appeard in the table.
These entries appearad well in the second address book. The other
entries with my login name in the owner_id field do not appear in either
of my address books.

>  You can see these shares via the
> "datatree" page under Administration.

Yes. I can see all the users in the /horde.shares.turba/localsql/ branch
in the DataTree view. My data looks this:
Array ( )
Array (
[0] => Array (
[name] => perm_users
[key] => galosa
[value] => 30
)
)
If I create a new address book, the MD5 looking data appears in the
DataTree view:
/horde.shares.turba/localsql/1879db5476479b4b274807ac2ee7dc25:
Array ( )
Array (
[0] => Array (
[name] => perm_users
[key] => galosa
[value] => 30 )
[1] => Array (
[name] => uid
[key] =>
[value] => 1879db5476479b4b274807ac2ee7dc25 )
[2] => Array (
[name] => name
[key] =>
[value] => x9 )
[3] => Array (
[name] => owner
[key] =>
[value] => galosa
)
)

> I can't remember the specifics
> off hand (The share code in turba has been *completely* rewritten in
> 2.2) but somewhere in the datatree entry you'll see the "real" owner of
> the share.

Yes.

> Some other things to check would be the preference settings for affected
> users, maybe clearing the "addressbooks" pref on one of the users to see
> what happens?  But since you say that the My Address Book *is* visible,
> just empty, I doubt that will make a difference.

Now, to be sure I downloaded the Turba tarball and I started Turba with
fresh files in a fresh directory (not ineriting files from previous
versions), and copied the config files from the dist ones. Now, this is
a complete, new Turba install. No change, no luck, no contacts.
Of course the database is the same. This means to me, something must be
wrong in the database, not in the config.

Best regards,
Andras Galos