[turba] Adding SIP/VoIP contact field

Paolo Cravero pcravero at as2594.net
Thu Apr 10 08:08:09 UTC 2008

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed. I'm new here, but a search
on the archives did not return meaningful results.

I would like to add an optional field to contacts: SIP (or VoIP) clickable
contact information. Something like skype://meeee or sip://uuxyz .

We're using a SQL backend, so I suppose we would have to add a new
"object_voip" field to turba_objects table.

When the contact is displayed, the SIP URI would be clickable so that a
click-to-call function is implemented. Even in IMP... perhaps with a hook?

Assuming a company-wide SIP service where email addresses are SIP addresses as
well, for LDAP addressbook queries a hook might display a click-to-call
additional field?

If this feature (actually two features) has chances to enter the main Turba
branch I could code it, with some proper hints on where to touch the code.

Thanks for your attention,
Paolo