[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Aug 31 18:41:57 UTC 2009

  short story:  i'm trying to pull some turba address books forward
into the current (and much newer) version of turba, and i'm not sure
if i've done all the necessary schema upgrading, so let me back up a
bit and ask a couple really fundamental questions.

  i have the following turba-related tables in mysql horde:

  * turba_objects
  * turba_clients
  * turba_customers
  * turba_suppliers

  * turba_shares
  * turba_shares_groups
  * turba_shares_seq
  * turba_shares_users

the first four appear to be actual address books (that first one would
have been better off being named "turba_employees" since it's for the
company employees), but that brings me to my first question.

  ignoring the "shares" stuff, does the above represent four separate
address books?  as in, each individual address book will be
represented by a distinct table in the "horde" database?  it appears
that way, but i need to know that for what follows.

  is there anything magic about the table name "turba_objects"?  as i
was reading the docs, i kept running across that name as if it was
special.  but in the context i'm working in, it looks like just
another address book.  would it have been equivalent to have called
it, say, "turba_employees"?  i ask this since a number of the upgrade
scripts i've perused refer to that table ***by exact name***.  but if
that's just another mysql address book table, how does it make sense
for some of the upgrade scripts to specifically alter the exact table
"turba_objects"?  or am i misreading something badly here?

  i've gone through the upgrade scripts and tried to do everything
necessary to bring those four tables in sync with the latest schema,
and it *looks* like i did that, but is there any way to verify that?
i've matched their mysql attributes against what i read that the
upgrade scripts should have done, and it appears to be compatible, but
it's tough to *know* that.  is there a turba table verification
utility i could use to be sure?

  and, finally (for now), it was getting tough to follow the upgrade
scripts since, at one point, some step would be described as
"optional" while a subsequent step would *require* that to have been
done.  so my thought was to *completely* uninstall every trace of
turba (except for the 4 address books), then put it back in, as long
as i could eventually point it back at the 4 existing address books.
is that doable?

rday