[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Aug 31 19:33:43 UTC 2009

Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:

>   short story:  i'm trying to pull some turba address books forward
> into the current (and much newer) version of turba, and i'm not sure
> if i've done all the necessary schema upgrading, so let me back up a
> bit and ask a couple really fundamental questions.
>
>   i have the following turba-related tables in mysql horde:
>
>   * turba_objects
>   * turba_clients
>   * turba_customers
>   * turba_suppliers
>
>   * turba_shares
>   * turba_shares_groups
>   * turba_shares_seq
>   * turba_shares_users
>
> the first four appear to be actual address books (that first one would
> have been better off being named "turba_employees" since it's for the
> company employees), but that brings me to my first question.
>
>   ignoring the "shares" stuff, does the above represent four separate
> address books?

Yes.

  as in, each individual address book will be
> represented by a distinct table in the "horde" database?

It depends. For the above to actually work, each address book would
need a separate entry in sources.php

> it appears
> that way, but i need to know that for what follows.

>   is there anything magic about the table name "turba_objects"?

It's only special in the sense that it's the name given to the table
created by the sql creation scripts. This corresponds to the
'localsql' source that is included in the sources.php.dist file.

   as i
> was reading the docs, i kept running across that name as if it was
> special.  but in the context i'm working in, it looks like just
> another address book.  would it have been equivalent to have called
> it, say, "turba_employees"?

Sure, as long as you make the necessary changes in sources.php.

  i ask this since a number of the upgrade
> scripts i've perused refer to that table ***by exact name***.

Which upgrade scripts are those?

   but if
> that's just another mysql address book table, how does it make sense
> for some of the upgrade scripts to specifically alter the exact table
> "turba_objects"?  or am i misreading something badly here?

Not sure until I know what scripts you're talking about.

>   i've gone through the upgrade scripts and tried to do everything
> necessary to bring those four tables in sync with the latest schema,
> and it *looks* like i did that, but is there any way to verify that?

I think there's a misunderstanding. What, exactly, do you mean by "the
latest schema"? The schema you use for your address books are
completely up to you.  You just need to make sure that the field names
in your tables match the map you create in sources.php.

> i've matched their mysql attributes against what i read that the
> upgrade scripts should have done, and it appears to be compatible, but
> it's tough to *know* that.  is there a turba table verification
> utility i could use to be sure?

No, because of the point above. There is no exact specification for a
"turba table". You only need to make sure that your tables have
appropriate map entries in the sources.php file.

>   and, finally (for now), it was getting tough to follow the upgrade
> scripts since, at one point, some step would be described as
> "optional" while a subsequent step would *require* that to have been
> done.  so my thought was to *completely* uninstall every trace of
> turba (except for the 4 address books), then put it back in, as long
> as i could eventually point it back at the 4 existing address books.
> is that doable?

Hard to tell without exact information.  Most of those upgrade scripts
are probably share related. You don't say if you plan on using shares
(or if you *were* using shares in your previous version).

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)