[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Sep 1 16:17:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Michael Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Michael Rubinsky wrote:
> >
> > > Can you point me to where in the docs referring to turba_objects
> > > is misleading you?
> >
> >  ok, it's possible i was confusing myself between two of the
> > upgrade scripts.  i think we can both agree that, if there was an
> > upgrade script somewhere in turba/scripts/upgrades whose
> > invocation upgraded *only* the "turba_objects" table with no
> > option to upgrade *other* tables that represented addressbooks,
> > and the accompanying documentation *also* didn't make it clear
> > that you should run that script on all of your other addressbook
> > tables, that would be somewhat misleading.
>
> No. You're still not understanding what I'm saying.  The reason the
> scripts refer to the table by name is because that table is the only
> table created by Turba. It's an example, or even a suggested schema,
> not a required schema. If the admin creates his own custom tables,
> then there is no reason to even run these scripts.

  actually, yes, i get what you're saying and i see why i got so
confused in the beginning.  from my initial reading and from perusing
the scripts, i got the impression that there was something magical
about that "turba_objects" table, and all my further misunderstanding
followed from that.  i didn't realize that it was just the arbitrary
name of the first/default addressbook table created by a turba
install.

  please tell me i at least got *that* part correct. :-)

rday