[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Sep 1 18:25:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Michael Rubinsky wrote:

> ... Shares allows individual users to create new address books
> (shares) and manage the permissions on them without administrator
> intervention. Thus a user can give another user access to his
> address book. Similar to how calendars are handled in Kronolith.
> Internally, the short story is that user-created shares still store
> objects in the same table (obviously, we're talking about a sql
> source here) but the owner is the share identifier rather then the
> username. The share system takes care of all the permissions stuff.

  this is, i think, part of the difficulty i'm having, in that i can't
find the documentation that explains these basic concepts.  it seems
that the few horde apps i've looked at assume that i already have a
solid grasp of underlying horde features.  but my problem when trying
to upgrade turba was just not understanding what a "share" was or why
i would choose to use them.

  to keep things simple, since i have a small number of users and a
small number of addressbooks, can i omit the use of shares for now,
knowing i can add them in again later if i choose?  i just want to
keep things as simple as possible for now -- allow those users to see
those addressbooks, that's all.

rday