[turba] how to simplify my turba upgrade process

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 2 09:24:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Michael Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>:

> >  i can see the script scripts/sql/turba.sql, whose purpose it is
> > to both create a new addressbook table ("turba_objects"), plus the
> > (single, addressbook-independent) shares tables.  so since i
> > already have some addressbooks that i want to hook in, i figure my
> > next step(s) would be to do the following.
> >
> >  first, i could run the second half of that script -- the part
> > involving only the turba_shares* stuff.  that would only have to
> > be run once, and is independent of whether there are any
> > addressbooks configured yet.  and i could run that regardless of
> > whether i want to use shares later or not.  (i could create the
> > mysql turba_shares stuff even without any addressbooks set up,
> > right?
>
> Correct, all the *.sql script does is create the tables.

  yup, that's how i read it, so i just ran the second part of the
turba.sql script against my "horde" database, and got my new
turba_shares* tables (all four of them).  obviously, there's been no
turba shares configuration done yet, but it was obvious that i needed
to create those tables as a first step.  (although, as i read it, i
still have the option to not even *use* shares if i decide not to.)

> > also, since i have four addressbooks already, i certainly don't
> > need to run the *first* half of that script but i might have to
> > run, for each addressbook, just the part for creating the indexes
> > for each book, if those don't exist already.
>
> Sure. If you want indexes on your custom tables, you should create
> them.

  actually, i just checked and all four existing addressbooks already
have their indexes defined, equivalent to how they're defined in the
turba.sql script, so that's a good sign.

  at this point, now that i have the addressbooks, they have the
appropriate indexes and i have new turba_shares* tables, i'm thinking
that my next step is to select a single addressbook table, add an
entry for it to sources.php, then configure turba through the horde
GUI and see if i can get that addressbook to show up in horde.

  onward.

rday