[turba] What is the status of Turba (contact fields) ?

Rolf Gloor thunderbird at glr.ch
Fri Dec 4 18:56:24 UTC 2009

Am 03.12.2009 19:31, schrieb Michael J. Rubinsky:

> Turba can support pretty much any field that you configure it to
> understand...but this *has* to be done by the administrator. If your
> provider only allows the limited number of contact fields, then that is
> all you get. In other words, Turba does have "better support for many
> more fields", but you must get the server administrator to configure them.

Hi Michael

Thanks for your feedback.

A) Suggestion
My suggestion is  - if technically possible -  to include at least the
set of ALL possible Outlook fields.
For an ISP, running many, many servers with Horde,  it will be a
nightmare to go out an change one setting. And having to modify all
installations might be too much work and risk. They usually prefere not
to touch the default / standard setup for reasons of easier, less risky
upgrading.

=> So the better the compatibility with MS Outlook, the more people will
actually use Horde, the broader Horde will be installed and the larger
the market share will get.

So please make sure, that the default is good enough to cover the
(compatibility) needs for the majority.

B) Question
Is there somewhere a list, showing fields are supported in the default
setup? (Standard "out-of-the-box".)

Preferable for
- Turba 2.3.1 (which still runs at my ISP. Just for comparison reason.)
- Turba 2.3.2
- and also the upcoming Turba 2.3.3

C) another Question
On the horde web site, I could not find any roadmap regarding further
releases:
- When will the next minor framwork release happen. Horde 3.3.6, Turba
2.3.3, etc.
- When will the new major framework release happen, the next generation
Horde 4.x (which is in work now, right? In the git?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rolf