[turba] What is the status of Turba (contact fields) ?

Rolf Gloor thunderbird at glr.ch
Tue Dec 8 19:35:10 UTC 2009

>> => So the better the compatibility with MS Outlook, the more people
>> will actually use Horde, the broader Horde will be installed and the
>> larger the market share will get.
>>
>> So please make sure, that the default is good enough to cover the
>> (compatibility) needs for the majority.
>
> So you need also to include the schema used in Thunderbird, Apple-Mail
> and maybe Notes for Business-Users??
> As they are also incompatibel with each other this is not possible at
> all so you have to decide for your own. Horde/Turba is not a Oulook
> extension and to break things for others to be compatible with Outlook
> is not really useful.
>

> Regards
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas

Thanks for your response.

I do understand your comments and concerns.

However, the basic set of fields is pretty limited.

Even when not supporting all above mentioned:

=> Extending the basic sets to somewhat more useful (less limited),
would greatly improve the situation.

Here some proposals:

- a third address set 'other' (beside 'home' and 'work')
- at least 2 more eMail addresses ('email2', 'email3')
- many more phone numbers ('workphone2', 'homephone2', 'workfax',
'homefax', 'other', ...)
- more urls ('homeurl', 'workurl')
- and eventually the default eMail and address (to use if not specified,
don't know the correct wording for it)

The naming of the fields above are just kind of top of my head and might
need some tweeking to fit the standard.

However, those few additional fields would greatly improve the usability
of Turba/Horde for people using Outlook, Thunderbird and many other apps
as well.
Especially for those, where Horde is installed at an ISP (and the end
user does not have influence on the fields).

Ideally, the user could configure in the settings, which field  should
be displayed and which ones are not used a lot and therefore be hidden.

I don't know how much work it will be to implement that.
But based on the few postings I read (especially on the
Turba/Outlook2003 page, which unfortunately is not accessible anymore),
it might be a matter of a few entries in a few files.

Please, could you consider to setup some more fields on the default
settings of Horde/Turba.

Thanks in advance for considering it.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Rolf