[turba] Last name prefixes

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Tue Sep 7 14:12:57 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Recently I migrated from Horde 3.1.5 to 3.3.8 and saw that many
changes had been made to the turba database. The number of fields per
record went from 20 to 45, but I would actually liked to have seen at
least one more. Specifically one for last name prefixes. Here's a few
examples:

   van Veen
   de Silva
   von Braun
   van den Berg
   de los Santos
   le Grand
   di Cosimo

Such last names are used across much of Europe, and I guess Central
and South America as well. However, when such last names are sorted,
the prefixes are almost always ignored. So, "von Braun" is found under
the "B" instead of the "V" as it typically is in the United States.

Unfortunately, like most address databases turba currently ignores
this convention. As a workaround, I find myself now adding the last
name prefix to the first name field, for example:

    First name: John de
    Last name:  Groot

But, this is not correct. I would rather that it be like:

    First name:       John
    Last name prefix: de
    Last name:        Groot

Has this idea been considered before? I'm sure very many European
Horde users would appreciate this additional field.

Cheers,

Jaap