[turba] Updating the Turba Schema

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at dada.net
Tue Sep 14 13:11:47 UTC 2010

Hi

With the advances in Funambol and sync in general it's now possible for me to put almost all my information in the cloud (read: on the server) and access it from anywhere (netbook, phone, PC, etc).

There's one small problem.  My legacy address is book is Outlook - which has space for up to 3 email addresses.  Indeed Thunderbird 3 even supports two and my phone (Android) also support 3 (home, work and other) and I can't imagine the iPhone is any different.  The weak link is Turba - which only supports one.  Up until now, that hasn't been a problem, because my main data source has been on the PC and when I copy the address book to Turba, it just imports the default mail address (although not being able to email friends at work from Horde has become increasingly annoying).

I found this on how to increase the number of address fields in Turba.

http://edeca.net/wp/2010/01/modifying-fields-in-the-turba-addressbook/

Which should essentially work.  And whilst I'm happy to do that in the short-term, I have two immediate concerns.

How will synch work (rpc.php)?

And if a future version of Turba supported multiple email addresses for a contact (I'm using H3 (2.3.4)) what would happen to my changes (I'd presume there'd be an updates .sql to run and that could effectively complicate the DB if not exactly breaking it)?

Ideally you'll tell me there's a new version of Turba that supports it (and therefore sync is supported as well) and I'll wait and just install that.

Any information gratefully received.

Simon