[turba] Migrating Turba contacts and groups between H4 and H5

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 12:54:41 UTC 2013

On 10 Nov 2013 13:15, "Andreas Rieger" <andreas.rieger at zew.uni-hannover.de>
wrote:

>  <lst_hoe02 <at> kwsoft.de> writes:
>

> > Zitat von Andreas Rieger <andreas.rieger <at> zew.uni-hannover.de>:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > we are currently in the process of migrating users between a Horde 4
and a
> > > Horde 5 Installation.
> > >
> > > One stumbling block is the migration of address books:
> > >
> > > As far as i can see there is no easy option to export groups
> > > (Verteilerlisten) and their corresponding members. Using the web
interface
> > > group memberships are lost.
> > >
> > > Would it be an option to simply copy the relevant rows from the
> > > turba_objects table between installations (adjusting the owner_id) but
> > > keeping the object_ids? Or do i have to recreate the contacts so they
get
> > > new, unique IDs?
> > >
> > > Has anyone done this before?
> > > Do I miss obvious easier options?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andreas
> >
> > We do this kind of migrtion by copy the whole Horde database, do the
> > upgrade as described and let the horde-db-migrate tool do its work.
> > You have to evaluate your config for missing obsolete features though.
> > With this your groups should be unaltered, but be aware that we have
> > not tested this as we don't use contact groups at all.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Andreas
> >

> Hey Andreas,
>
> I am not sure your proposed solution will work as both versions are
already
> used (by different users).
>
> So the problem is not about upgrading an old installation from H4 to H5
but
> to move/copy some users (the adressbooks of some users) between running H4
> and H5 instances.

So you have an h4 and h5 instance, each with their own database (let's call
them h4db and h5db)?

Assuming you want to migrate all users..
In this case your only (simple) option is to:
0. Make a copy of h4db
1. Connect the h4dbnew to the h5 install
2. run the upgrade/migration script, and
3. then merge the resultant db with the h5db

Assuming you want to migrate just a subset of users..
0. Make a copy of h4db
1. Connect the h4dbnew to the h5 install
2. run the upgrade/migration script,
3. Remove the users you don't want to migrate
4. then merge the resultant db with the h5db
5. Remove the migrated users from the h4db
6. Repeat during the next round.

Simon

P.s. it's always worth making db copies prior to tweeking databases..

Simon