[whups] Any idea how can I speed up whups for a non-admin user with a lot of queues?

Edwin L. Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Fri Jun 17 04:09:14 PDT 2005

> Quoting "Edwin L. Culp" <eculp at encontacto.net>:
>
>> My partner decided he wanted to use whups and wanted a queue for each
>> of his domains (about 550) he created the queues and since he and I are
>> admins, it is working fine from our admin perspective but today his
>> secretary was going to create a ticket and it took over 30 seconds to
>> open and she is on the LAN.  At first I thought se was doing something
>> wrong but after thinking about it, I though that it might be a question
>> of checking permissions on each queue before opening the ticket.  I've
>> not tested to be sure but I did add her as an admin temporarily and her
>> time droped from 30 seconds to 2 seconds.  To me the obvious solution
>> is to cut the queues to some reasonable number (I always thought it was
>> a dumb idea ;), but then I thought that it would be a good idea to ask
>> if this is the problem and if anyone has a solution that might let it
>> work.
>
> The solution is to do something in Whups::permissionsFilter to load all
> queue permissions in one batch, then call hasPermission() on each one,
> instead of calling hasPermission() one by on which loads them one at a
> time. I don't have time to code this at the moment, and unfortunately
> it doesn't look like there's anything exposed by the Perms api that
> does this in a straightforward way. getTree() might do it implicitly,
> but that also loads everything, not just the whups:queue:* perms. We
> may need to add something and test for its existance.

Thanks, Chuck.  Right now I need an easy work around, like a way to
give admin permissions to whups without changing the other apps or just
wack the queues.  Actually, this is probably something that will need
to be addressed in the future and might be a good time for inheritance
in whups perms.  Would this be a good candidate for a bounty?   If so,
would it be whups specific or horde general?  Thanks,

ed