[whups] Whups tabs per ticket type

Auke Bruinsma air2 at dds.nl
Fri Feb 24 01:54:56 PST 2006

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Auke Bruinsma <air2 at dds.nl>:
>

>> I want some extra tabs, but not for all ticket types, also I would like
>> to lets have every tab its own permissions.
>> so I want to create a  TicketTab class with the factory pattern. In the
>> subdir TicketTab the actual tabs go inside some nice class.
>> Than the api.php should be changed so for every tab a permission is
>> generated. (That is not a very big change)
>> Then in some table for every type is stored if which tabs should be
>> shown and in which order.
>> This should be managed in the edit type part. (Like the attributes)
>> For every tab an int is stored and they ar soreted accourding this int.
>> This way its very easy to add some custom tabs.
>>

> It seems like a bit of overkill to me to have both enable/disable on
> tabs _and_ permissions. Ideally I think just the permissions could be
> used to manage which show up and which don't.
>
> I'd like to first see a patch that provides extended permissions for
> each of the existing tabs (like we already have assign/update
> permissions), and also perhaps cleans up any other permissions
> checking that should be done (look at the open tickets on
> bugs.horde.org, not sure if there are any currently actually).
>
> Then we can talk about potential implementations for custom tabs. I
> think it also might make sense to clean up the handling of custom
> attributes (they really need some work) before tackling new custom
> functionality for types.
>
> -chuck

Well the reason why I suggest this change, is the eas for anybody to add
his/hers own custom tab, without having difficulties when  upgrading
the whups packet, when updates are available. So if in the proposed
situation someone wants a custom tab, just a new file is added, its
automaticly picked up by the adminconfiguration section and can be added
to an ticket type. When an upgrade comes to one of the other tabs or
anywhere else in the source, the custom tab isn't affected and the
system can be patched without needing to modify the patch or manually
change the source.

The use of persmissions is imho, considering the above, not an overkill.
Its just handy when you can hide/show tabs for individual users/groups
etc. I have customized my whups to accomplise the above situation. If
desired I will open a new ticket and add this patch.
Owh and uhm I re-read the code standards, saw my mistakes in the other
patch I proposed, sorry for that. I hope I did my job better with the
code I've writen this time.

Auke