[wicked] Different text formats

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Thu Sep 16 13:34:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 07:09:17PM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Replying to the Wicked ML, because this is where this discussion belongs
> now.
>
> Zitat von Karsten Fourmont <fourmont at gmx.de>:
>
> >Thanks for your input so far.
> >
> >So it's wicked rather than Giapeto.
> >
> >My ideas:
> >
> >1) add a "type" column to wicked_pages. This specifies what type your
> content
> >is. Currently "wiki", but might be "reST", "Simplified Docbook", "HTML",
> >whatever...
>
> Exactly.

I would use RFC MIME types (like text/html and text/xml, etc.).  I've
had this thought a lot lately, and it certainly would be useful.

> >2) Introduce "Books". My concept of a book is that of a compilation of
> >individual pages: each page is one section (or subsection) of the book.
> >My (still very preliminary) plan is to implement these kind of books as a
> new
> >page of type "book". However this book page does not contain the
> >content itself
> >but only a tree like structure with references to other wiki pages.
> >So you can
> >create books as a hierarchical collection of Wiki pages. You have to
> >provide a
> >special editor (kind of tree edit) and renderer of course, but otherwise
> you
> >can utilise all the benefits from a standard wiki page.
>
> Cool idea!

TWiki has this sort of thing.  They don't call them books--I forget what
they actually call them--but they are different partitions.  Find Cyrus
IMAP's home page and go to their wiki to browse around.

UseMod has a mechanism whereby you can use a slash to make subpages (for
example, you can make a FooProject page, then a FooProject/ProjectStatus
page, etc.

I like UseMod's way better than TWiki's way, because one extremely
important point about wikis which cannot be overstated is that they work
because they are super simple to use.  TWiki's way can be a bit
confusing, I think.  On the other hand, TWiki solves a problem we are
having where we want to give a client access to one partition of the
system.

> >I'm not yet sure of if 2) is a clever idea or not. Maybe it overstreches
> the
> >"type" thing somewhat. I'll think about it: I'm off for a week of
> vacation.
>
> I don't think so. We should play with how to select pages for the book, but
> overall this is the way to go, I guess.
>
> Jan.

> http://horde.org/consulting/

 Jason M. Felice