[wicked] What should be in wicked 1.0?

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Wed Oct 13 02:06:30 PDT 2004

Hi,

>   1) How much you use wicked, how much you depend on it.

Currently we don't. We use Drupal (www.drupal.org). But I'd very much like to
switch to horde/wicked

>   2) *How* you use wicked.  What do you store in it.  Do you use it for
>      discussion or fact-keeping or tech support, etc.

We use Drupal for the documentation of our current project. Drupal has
a "book"
feature which allows you to compile various nodes (wicked: pages) into
sections
of a book hierarchy.

Our books are "Developers Guide", "Administrators Guide" and "Users Guide".
Markup is HTML. The Users Guide contains lots of screenshots, so we very much
rely on uploading and including images.
The projekt is a Java Project. So we've got a script that converts the
HTML Book
to a JavaHelp helpset. In addition there's another script that converts the
complete html book to Docbook and from there to PDF. With DocBook the output
looks very high quality.

>   3) What changes or features would be useful to _you_ in wicked.  If

Here we go ;-)

a) the page content-type feature you mentioned would be great. Allow different
markup (wiki, reST, HTML, Docbook, plaintext)
b) a "book" feature (compile various pages into a book hierarchy, nice TOC for
books, display complete book)
c) allow/integrate easy uploading and inclusion of images (using ansel?)
d) export books/pages to PDF (maybe via Docbook)

b) could start very basic: a new content-type "book" or "areamap", like
YaWiki's
areamap (http://wiki.ciaweb.net/yawiki/index.php?area=Sandbox&page=AreaMap,
thanks to Paul Jones for the reference)

This would just contain  a list of links, where the indentation level defines
the hierachy. Something like

Installation
  Obtaining Wicked
  Prerequisites
  Installing Wicked
Using Wicked
  Section
  AnotherSection

Of course it would be great if you don't have to edit this file manually but
rather get some kind of nice UI for it.

Such a hierarchy could also be displayed as a tree block in horde's
menu column.

Implementation of b)  (and mybe d) ) is on my agenda, but unfortunately
I don't
have much time at the moment.

  Karsten