[wicked] attachments support

Edwin L. Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Nov 18 08:01:45 PST 2004

Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:
> To clarify, my thinking is that attachments go away once we can have pages
> with any content type.  It seems more like the Wiki Way.  (ESR also talks
> about programming by removing features until the program is perfect <g>).
>
> Vijay, check out wicked's README if you haven't already.  I've put a lot of
> stuff in there about what Wicked 1.0 will look like.  None of it is set
> in stone and none of it is meant to discourage people from contributing
> anything else, but it is an excercise in sort of visualizing the goal as
> a whole.
>
> I'm also getting feedback from users that they don't like wiki markup
> (one is pretty disgusted--"everything else is WYSIWYG nowadays, why do I
> have to deal with CODES?").

Here I think the problem is YET ANOTHER markeup language.  Most of us are
probably already dealing with more than we would like.  The advantage that I
see in a wiki and the main reason that I use it is for modification
history and
roll-back.  The problem is that I want input from folks that don't want
to learn
wiki markup.  It might be great to have a simple x*html editor that doesn't
leave garbage after a user has made many changes to the formating, that you
would then be able to diff cleanly for rollback.  I also have to remember that
users also love to cut and paste from MS office applications, or worse use the
save as html option.

Maybe what the wiki needs is, as you mentioned above, "removing features until
the program is perfect" and not base our decisions on programs that were
designed for something totally different such as Office.  This assumes that we
are in agreement as to what a wiki should do ;)

ed