[ansel] gallery ordering issue

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Wed Mar 31 20:05:46 PST 2004

Okay, I'm putting this out there to see if anyone else can verify this
problem for me.

The code for honoring the datatree_order value is working as it should,
but the value isn't actually being written when an image is being
uploaded (at least not through the XP Publish interface).  Worse, the
code that I wrote for the reorder function sets the order value (since
it doesn't exist) to a sequentially incremented integer value starting
at 1... so you end up with order value collisions... the end result
being unpredictable.  If you never use the reorder function, then you
just end up with some images with explicit orders set and other
without... and this seems to have unpredictable results as well.

The best fix is to make sure that the order value is properly set when
an image is uploaded (IMHO, anyway).  This would obviously be best done
at the datatree driver level (right?)... and since that's used by lots
of stuff, I'm leary of touching it.  Is the datatree_order field
currently used by anyting other than Ansel?  If not, then I can make the
patch to the Ansel functions and be done with it.

heath