[ansel] gallery ordering issue

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Thu Apr 1 21:40:03 PST 2004

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting "Heath S. Hendrickson" <heath at outerspaceconsultants.com>:
>
>> Are you storing the images in the database as well?  I found that when I
>> used MySQL for VFS storage that it was really slow.  When I moved to
>> using filesystem storage it got much better...  but then again I'm using
>> a PIII 600 w/512MB ram for my server, and it's running a lot of stuff.
>

> Just a note that if you're using file-based VFS, you should look at the
> vfs_direct option as well; much faster than piping the image data
> through a PHP
> script.

I tried that at one point, but didn't have a lot of luck getting it to
work... I admit that I didn't spend a lot of time on it, though.

> It also allows you to have dynamic galleries (by searching the
> image_attributes table for specific data, say a date range or a
> keyword/caption).
>
> DataTree makes that sort of thing *extremely* easy.

Yeah, I thought of that... and I agree that the backend stuff should be
fairly easy, once I figure out how to work with the DataTree driver...
It's not the easiest thing in the world to get your hands around... (IMHO)

>> I guess my final thought is that it's better to do the redesign now
>> while Ansel is still at 0.0.1 (and not listed as being part of the Horde
>> 3.0 release anyway) than to try and do it once it's considered beta or
>> stable...
>

> What redesign?

Just speculating that if things were to be changed, now is a better time
to do it than after it's a beta or stable product...

>> I know that I'm opening a big can of worms here, but if I just think
>> that we should try and make Ansel the best that we can (I'd still like
>> the ability to customize the display of each gallery based on a template
>

> Already implemented... see the view/ directory.

I know that you've said that before, but how do you set it on a
*per-gallery* basis...?  Is it just lacking a UI or is there something
else missing?  I'm not talking about changing the color-scheme, but the
actual layout of the gallery.

>> and the ability to have the same image in multiple galleries... but
>

> Patch?

The backend mechanics may be simple to set up, but it's the UI that's
the big work.  And there are other things that I want to work on before
this so ...