[ansel] Ansel::listGalleries()

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Tue May 11 11:04:46 PDT 2004

Ben Chavet wrote:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Ben Chavet <ben at chavet.net>:
>>
>>> Hashing is good, now for the details :)
>>>
>>> do we want:
>>>    ansel/hash/image_full
>>>    ansel/hash/image_screen
>>>    ansel/hash/image_thumb
>>>
>>> or:
>>>    ansel/full/hash/image
>>>    ansel/screen/hash/image
>>>    ansel/thumb/hash/image
>>>
>>> I personally like the 2nd option because it just feels cleaner.
>>

>> I'd prefer the first, since that way you have all copies of an image in
>> the same
>> place - relevant if you're ever poking around on the command line
>> instead of
>> through code.
>

> Good point, but how about storage efficiency?  the 1st option will
> have 3 times
> as many files in any given directory as the 2nd option.  How about a
> combiniation:
>
>   ansel/hash/full/image
>   ansel/hash/screen/image
>   ansel/hash/thumb/image
>
> I'm just trying to think ahead as far as possible, so we don't have to go
> through this process again.
>
> --Ben

Or a combination of the two...

ansel/hash/full/image
ansel/hash/created/image_(screen|thumb|micro)

That would keep the originals in their own directory (that's all that
really relevant anyway, and makes for easier backup... the screen and
thumbs can easily be recreated) and the created images in their own
directory.  Though I'm not married to the idea or anything.  I do like
the idea of keeping the full size images separate for backup purposes,
however.