[ansel] ansel cli

Heath S. Hendrickson heath at outerspaceconsultants.com
Wed May 19 18:25:44 PDT 2004

Vijay Mahrra wrote:

>in order to develop this further, it would be good to have some feedback at this
>early stage.  already i can see that perhaps there's a need to move the
>functions from there to the main Ansel class or a subclass that extends it, I'm
>thinking of something like ansel/lib/Ansel_CLI.php which will have the various
>file functions that are used here.

I can't speak to the best place for some of the functions, but it
doesn't sound like an unreasonable request if the CLI interface is going
to be more than a contrib-level script.

>what other command-line options would you like to see?

The one thing that I think would be nice to see would be a way to handle
backups via a CLI.  It would be good to be able to dump to a set of
files everything necessary to recreate an Ansel installation from
scratch.  Namely the datatree and VFS data.  If VFS is in SQL, then it
could dump that as well or fork out to grab the VFS data from the
filesystem and put it all in a compressed archive (tar.gz or tar.bz2).
And another option to take a compressed archive and rebuild an Ansel
installation from it.  I'd think that this would be best done outside of
the Ansel classes and directly via MySQL and other programs but using
the Ansel classes to determine the necessary tables and VFS paths.
Realizing that this is a lot, maybe start with just creating a CSV or
XML file that dumps all the data from the datatree for the entire Ansel
install (due to the way attributes are stored in datatree, I'd think
that an XML file would be more suitable).

For me at least, the CLI would be much more useful as an administration
interface than a user interface.

That being said, one user-focused thing that I can think of would be the
ability to create a gallery and populate it with images from a directory
on the filesystem.