[ansel] General Ansel Question

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Jul 14 13:38:08 UTC 2008

Quoting David Cummings <lupinsansei_st at yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list. I've been playing around with Ansel recently
> and am wondering if the code base is sufficiently mature that anyone
> has adopted it for their site. Are there any examples that anyone is
> familiar with?

Ansel is nearing 1.0 status and, IMO, is very stable.  The backend
storage that it uses to store the actual images is Horde's VFS system,
which is very mature.  The backend storage it uses for the gallery
info, permissions etc, is a hierarchical SQL share driver, which,
while it *is* stable, is a relatively newer driver.

That being said, there are a number of Horde developers using Ansel
actively...and at least two of us that use it not only within Horde,
but use it to drive galleries on external websites.

An example external site can be seen at http://theabramsgallery.com,
and you can view my personal Ansel install (which drives the above
mentioned site) at http://portal.theupstairsroom.com/horde/ansel

Keep in mind you won't see most of the "cool" features on my site
while viewing it as a guest.

If you have any questions regarding specific feature, please feel free
to ask...

Thanks,
mike

--