[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: whups checkout.php common.php ...

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:47:33 +0000

> Quoting avsm@horde.org:
>
> >   Slightly new look as well; it's still ugly, but will improve!
>
> Looks nice!

Cool :)  Just going to move it to CSS to keep the templates
tidy, so it'll be easy to tweak.

> - Do you _always_ need all of the CVSLib subclasses? Would it make sense to
> include_once them when you actually need them?

Well, eventually not; I wanted to make it such that you can
clone them in this order without depending on anything above:

log
file
directory
repository

So that if I have a full RCS filename, I can just clone a
CVSLib_file and not need anything other than CVSLib_log, and
definitely not need CVSLib_directory or any of that.

It's not quite there at the moment, and there's a bit of a tangle
of dependencies.  I'm doing this somewhat iteratively, so I'm going
to pass through CVSLib again when the functionality is solid and
working again, and clean up any messes I've made from code rearrangement
and redesigning.

> - All of the other horde apps use $conf['paths'][] for path
> information, instead of using a seperate $path variable. Could
> whups do this as well, so as to not use as many global variables?

Yup, sure.  Again, all the configuration stuff needs a once-over,
since portions are out of date, so I'll do this then.

> I haven't really looked through everything closely, but it looks pretty
> good.

Don't look too closely ;)

I'm quite pleased with how it's going though; I wasn't convinced
CVSLib was a good idea at the start, but I recently used it for a
work thing to extract CVS commit statistics from our CVS database;
it was a simple command-line PHP script to iterate through the
directories, without any hassle.  Can't wait till WHUPS really gets
off the ground, and we can really start integrating ticket/bug-tracking
with CVS hopefully.

Quick poll:  should branch tracking propagate as the user clicks
links?  For example, in imp/compose.php, you can choose to track
only the STABLE_2_2 branch, which is fine for that viewing.  But
most cvsweb scripts keep track that you want to 'stick' to STABLE_2_2,
which becomes meaningless as soon as you move to an RCS file which
doesn't have that branch (i.e, start going through the turba/
directory).  I'm pretty happy to say that 'only on branch' is not
a sticky variable.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>