[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp mailbox.php navigator.php ...

Michael Bull mbull@uoguelph.ca
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:50:22 -0500

At 11:25 PM 18/12/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>I had a look at it while doing the original commit, and meant to come
>back to it.  Problem is that I don't want to make a call to imap_status(),
>since it can be very inefficient to query SA_UNSEEN - to quote the docs:
>
>"Note that, depending upon implementation, some of these values may
>be more costly to get than others.  For example, calculating the
>number of unseen messages may require opening the mailbox and scanning
>all of the message flags.  A mail_status() call should thus be used
>with option flags specifying only the data that is actually needed."
>
>Now, we do this in the navigator, and take a speed hit, but it would
>be nice to avoid this in every single mailbox view if possible.

What about imap_check?  I've been reading the php IMAP functions to get a
better understanding of all this; it apparently will return "number of
recent messages".   Assuming that we're okay with just a pop-up saying
there is new mail, as opposed to showing the details of it.   Maybe?
:)  I'm still getting familiar with PHP's IMAP functions, so I guess I'm
just brainstorming...