[dev] Czech translation + gettext problem

Joris Braakman jorisb@nl.euro.net
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:29:13 +0200

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 04:12:11PM -0700, Pavel Chytil wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  I have translated following modules to Czech language:
>  horde, imp, gollem, nag, kronolith, turba, chora.
>
>  I can not test them though, because I can't make horde work under any other
>  languages than English and simplified Chinese.
>  I can create .mo files without any troubles. It looks like gettext is screwing
>  up things. I follow up test for gettext in REDME file under "po" directory, but
>  that does not work at all. Any ideas how can I make this work?

Things have changed a bit since that README. Language names have
changed.  nl is now nl_NL for example.
First config the OS to support Dutch or Czech in your case. For Debian
Linux that means adding nl_NL to that file (see below). Then run
locale-gen . Test it with:
$ (export LANG=nl_NL; ls -z)
ls: ongeldige optie -- z
Probeer `ls --help' voor meer informatie.

Secondly move the nl.po file to nl_NL.po and rerun msgfmt.

Hope this helps, change nl to czech equivalent ofcourse, Joris.

$ more locale.gen
# This file lists locales that you wish to have built. You can find a
# list
# of valid supported locales at /usr/share/doc/locales/SUPPORTED.gz.
# Other
# combinations are possible, but may not be well tested. If you change
# this file, you need to rerun locale-gen.

# Build en_US by default.

en_US ISO-8859-1
nl_NL ISO-8859-1
nl_NL@euro ISO-8859-15