[dev] Cleaned-up monthly maintenance IMP patch

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:12:33 -0400

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:03:39PM -0600, Michael M Slusarz (slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu) wrote:

> I posted a patch a few weeks ago for automated monthly maintenance
> activities for IMP, and I have since cleaned up the patch
> tremendously.  Take a look and see if it is something that could be
> incorporated into the main branch:
>
> http://bigworm.colorado.edu/imp-patches/monthly.php
>
> Quick synopsis of what it provides (all of this is done once per login session
> to IMP - it uses the IMP_LOGIN flag to decide when to run):
>
>   * Deletes a user's Trash folder monthly

Yipes. That's a disaster waiting to happen. You might run the
"monthly" Trash cleanup a second after a user inadvertently puts a
message in the trash -- certainly not expected "monthly maintenance"
behavior.

What if it deleted messages in the trash older than a month, rather
than deleting /all/ of the messages in the trash at a specific time?

Also, I'd encourage all three of the monthly ops to ask the user if
they wish to proceed (à la Pine), rather than just telling them that
it's being done and it's too late to avoid it.

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!