improving POP3 protocol utilization...

Romans Malinovskis romans@void.lv
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:41:07 +0200

I'm  sorry  to  interrupt your busy conversations, but i think that POP3 exchange protocol should be
improved a little for IMP..

Shortly about me:
 i  am  PHP programmer since early PHP3 versions, when horde & imp was born. Long time ago i thought
it was very ugly code, but now it surely a best sample of PHP programming.:) I made one imap webmail
myself  in half a year, latter i made standalone webmail interface for pop3. now i mostly working on
multiuser portal, but that's a long storry.

I  have  a  very  nice POP3 protocol class which implements base conectivity with POP3 server. It is
much  faster and more effective than IMAP's, it uses caching for both headers and messages and it is
strictly RFC complaint.

I wonder if IMP support for POP3 mailboxes could be imroved with this class..

 - class have it's own error reporting stack, but it should be rewriten to work with horde..
 - class  stores  messages  in a temporary directory using MimeRipe utility to extract attachments,
    maybe IMP's mime functions should handle that
 - class have frontend functions to get message status, which must be rewriten..

if you think this could be fun, we can try that out.:)

regards,
romans