[dev] MIME Questions/Better Reply handling

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue, 7 May 2002 23:20:03 -0600

Quoting Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>:

| If I get a doc attachment, as of today, wvHtml is not able to open it.
| I can now save it to disk.  Then I can use wvHtml/openoffice/xwp etc
| with no problem.  Don't understand why wvHtml can't open it inline.

Check to make sure that your path to wvHtml is correct in
mime_drivers.php.  When I went to check this error out, I had the same
problem (even though, in the past, I had correctly set wvHtml up
correctly.  I must have accidentally updated this file incorrectly).
additionally, i have added error reporting to all MIME_Viewer modules that
use outside programs if the program doesn't exist.  This should help in
debugging.

| The really cool part is that I see no message body now only the
| attachment,
| but when I do a reply I now see the original message that now shows up
| as:

| |
| | ------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C1F5AE.E3876360

When replying it actually uses the text found in the first MIME part.  If
that part is a multipart message, like your two examples, it will return
the text of the entire Part.  That is why you are seeing all the MIME
boundary/Content-Type/etc stuff.  Maybe we should check to see if there is
a text/plain attachment and use that as the reply text.

In general, I think the code for determining the reply text could be a lot,
well, cooler for lack of a better term.  I personally think the text
wrapping can look a lot better; an example of what i would like to see can
be found at:

http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/readme/fillpara.html

Additionally, as has been pointed out to me, replying to non-text bodies
can lead to varied results.  In so many words I guess I am saying that I
will try to hack at this code and see if I can come up with anything
better.  If anybody wants to see anything specific or, better yet, even
submit some code :), speak now or forever hold your peace.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder