[dev] MIME Questions/Better Reply handling

Edwin Culp eculp@encontacto.net
Wed, 8 May 2002 05:31:02 -0700

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

| Quoting Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>:
|

| | If I get a doc attachment, as of today, wvHtml is not able to open it.
| | I can now save it to disk.  Then I can use wvHtml/openoffice/xwp etc
| | with no problem.  Don't understand why wvHtml can't open it inline.
| |

| Check to make sure that your path to wvHtml is correct in
| mime_drivers.php.  When I went to check this error out, I had the same
| problem (even though, in the past, I had correctly set wvHtml up
| correctly.  I must have accidentally updated this file incorrectly).
| additionally, i have added error reporting to all MIME_Viewer modules that
| use outside programs if the program doesn't exist.  This should help in
| debugging.

I just saw the error reporting.  I had exactly the same problem and that
would have saved a lot of time.  Thanks for the change.

| | The really cool part is that I see no message body now only the
| | attachment,
| | but when I do a reply I now see the original message that now shows up
| | as:
| |
| | |
| | | ------=_NextPart_001_000E_01C1F5AE.E3876360
| |

| When replying it actually uses the text found in the first MIME part.  If
| that part is a multipart message, like your two examples, it will return
| the text of the entire Part.  That is why you are seeing all the MIME
| boundary/Content-Type/etc stuff.  Maybe we should check to see if there is
| a text/plain attachment and use that as the reply text.

I've seen that but what really surprised me was that the body wasn't
visible until replying.  I tried to duplicate it several times yesterday
and wasn't able to.  I'm not sure what the sender used to attache the
word file that would block both the text and html parts until I opened
a compose window for a reply to ask about the attachment:-).

| In general, I think the code for determining the reply text could be a lot,
| well, cooler for lack of a better term.  I personally think the text
| wrapping can look a lot better; an example of what i would like to see can
| be found at:
|
| http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/readme/fillpara.html

That would really be great.

Thanks again,

ed

| Additionally, as has been pointed out to me, replying to non-text bodies
| can lead to varied results.  In so many words I guess I am saying that I
| will try to hack at this code and see if I can come up with anything
| better.  If anybody wants to see anything specific or, better yet, even
| submit some code :), speak now or forever hold your peace.
|
| michael

| Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
| The University of Colorado at Boulder

       The illiterate of the 21st century will not be
             those who cannot read and write,
       but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.
                                                --Alvin Toffler

 http://insourcery.com - Mergence of Business and Technology
          a "Griffin Plaza Partners, LLC" Company