[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: lots of stuff

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:02:33 +0200

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:
>
> | Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:
> |
> | >   Log:
> | >   The Lang:: class has been renamed to NLS:: (National Language
> | Support).
> | >   Timezone manipulation/setting has been moved into this class.
> |

> I was under the impression that this (the NLS stuff) isn't really
> something
> that should be merged since it isn't backward portable.  Is that a
> mistaken
> conclusion?  I think this is more of a reorganization of the code -
> should
> this be avoided in the future if it would make it difficult to reconcile
> HEAD and RELENG?  I understand the need to update and maintaint the old
> code, but it seems like there is always that tradeoff with continuing to
> develop the new codebase.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to keep anybody from creating new
stuff or reorganizing the code. And, no, the NLS class can of course not
been merged to RELENG for bc reasons.

But this class is a good example of what I intended to say: Now that this
class has a new name and is in a new file is getting harder to track changes
   in this class. That means that anybody who fixes something in this class
or adds something that is backward compatible should also take care of
merging this changes to the old Lang file in RELENG. Either immediately or
after a short period of testing in HEAD.

This is all about discipline (I know, I know, I'm not better :-) and may
avoid the merging sessions before releases that are error prone and not much
fun. I like creating new stuff more, too, but I guess there are more people
running CVS RELENG version than we imagine who rely on us keeping this
branch always up-to-date with the latest fixes and may be good testers for
new but stable features. A side effect would be that we won't need so many
RCs before a new release.

Jan.